Monday, October 15, 2012

Giving Trees Another Go


10/15/12 fountain pen, Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor, Stillman & Birn sketchbook
I’ve been reading Watercolour Secrets: Tips & Techniques to Make Watercolour Painting More Enjoyable, a free e-book by Bob Davies. It’s not a complete how-to, but you can’t beat the price, and I enjoy reading encouragement such as “Go on, give it a go!” by the British author. Section 6, “Creating Believable Trees,” has been of particular interest because so many of my sketches of trees end up looking like blobs.
 
Weather.com said the rain wouldn’t be starting until about 4 p.m. At 1 p.m., with a half-hour before I had to get to my errands, I decided I had enough time to dash over to Green Lake to “give it a go” with another sketch of the amazing fall color we’ve been treated to this year. At 1:35 p.m., I was still finishing the grass when the clouds opened up and nearly turned my watercolors to water.

2 comments:

  1. Susie Short has a couple tutorials on trees, too.
    http://learningcenter.susieshort.net/

    Thanks for the link to the e-book. Funny thing. I'm working on painting better trees, too. It was covered in my watercolor class but it didn't stick too well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice sketch! When painting en plein air we always have to be ready to cover up and go quickly. lol Rain likes to surprise us. I'll have to look for that free e-book. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...