Saturday, February 9, 2013

Lunar New Year


2/9/13 Zig markers, Stillman & Birn Gamma sketchbook
Gung Hay Fat Choy!
 
Although I grew up in a nearby neighborhood, I hadn’t been to the Seattle International District’s Lunar New Year Festival in decades. When Jane initiated an ad hoc sketch meet-up near the Lion and Dragon Dance stage, I decided it was high time to see the festival again. But something happened in the decades since I was last there – the crowd grew by a thousand-fold! 
 
I met two sketchers, Kate and Connie, at the meeting location, and we quickly staked out some space on the bleachers that looked like it would give us an ideal vantage point. Even though I was standing most of the time, this photo shows what I was able to see!
 
I bumped into a couple other sketchers on my way out, but due to faulty communications (I couldn’t hear my phone ringing amidst the firecrackers and other noise), I missed Jane completely. But I had fun and managed to get a sketch of a lion.
 
Happy Year of the Snake!

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the dragon and I like the way you simplified the crowd!!! The festival looks like a fun, noisy place to sketch. I've always wanted to go sketch in Chinatown in NYC but there is so much there I think it would be overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...