Friday, June 13, 2014

A Zoo at the Seattle Aquarium

6/13/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi ink,
 Canson XL 140 lb. paper
Every citizen of Seattle under the age of 8 was at the Seattle Aquarium this morning, along with a handful of brave (or crazy) Friday sketchers. Someone exclaimed, “What a zoo!” and I disagreed; I visit Woodland Park Zoo frequently, and even on a sunny summer day, it isn’t nearly as crowded. I think today was the single most challenging sketching environment I’ve experienced so far, at least in terms of number of people at my elbows.

Yet when we spread out our sketchbooks to share two-and-a-half hours later, I was amazed by the wonderful sketches everyone had made – and by the number of pages I had managed to fill in my own sketchbook. Though not exactly leisurely or relaxing (to the contrary, I was on the verge of screaming), I can’t say it wasn’t a productive morning.







6/13/14 Pilot Iroshizuku inks, water-soluble colored pencil
6/13/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi and Ku-Jaku inks,
water-soluble colored pencil
6/13/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi ink
6/13/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi ink, Zig marker, water-soluble
colored pencil

6/13/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku ink

1 comment:

  1. Love the aquarium sketches, especially the seahorses and the sea otters (I always thought they were so cute). I can imagine trying to sketch with the crowds around you and the voices that somehow always seem to echo inside the aquarium buildings.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...