Thursday, August 7, 2014

Cloudless Sky

8/7/14 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor, Caran d'Ache Museum water-soluble colored pencil, Lanaquarelle 140 lb. paper

The last time Natalie and I sketched together from her deck (I call it her en plein air studio), it was the spring equinox, and the sky was full of luscious, dramatic clouds that were so much fun to paint.

8/7/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi, Fuyu-syogun,
De Atramentis Moss Green inks, Museum pencil,
Canson XL 140 lb. paper
Not so today – the sky was mostly cloudless, at least facing east over Lake Washington, so I had to settle for sketching a tree with the placid water behind it. On the other hand, today I could sit out there for hours in a T-shirt; in March, I wore Polartec. No complaints here! Especially when Natalie pointed out the bald eagle flying by and when I spotted a hummingbird lighting on a nearby bush several times.

Technical note: A potted snapdragon plant slightly past its prime was an excellent subject for sketching with my trusty Sailor pen filled with DeAtramentis Moss Green ink. That pen was made for drawing the thick and thin lines of leaves.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you have a "plein air studio" to visit once in a while. Nice cloudless sky and good job on the snapdragon plant that is losing its snap!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...