Sunday, August 17, 2014

Shilshole Marina

8/17/14 Platinum Carbon and Diamine Grey inks, watercolor, Caran d'Ache Museum water-soluble colored pencils, Zig marker, Pitt Artist Pen, Canson XL 140 lb. paper

Thick and white with fog, the sky over Shilshole Marina felt a bit chilly this morning for mid-August, but a strong showing of Seattle Urban Sketchers was undaunted. Sure enough, the sun came out within the hour, giving everyone good shadows and warmth.

8/17/14 Platinum Carbon, Pilot Iroshizuku
Tsuyu-kusa and Diamine Grey inks, Zig marker
Before the fog lifted, I started with a sketch of “Son of Iceland, Grandson of Norway” Leif Erikson. The original statue was a gift to Seattle from the Norwegian American community during the 1962 World’s Fair. A new base and tribute were unveiled in 2007. His helmet looked a bit Pope-ish until I corrected its tilt.

By the time the sky cleared, I had procrastinated long enough: It was time to take on the formidable marina with its gazillions of masts. I propped my stool up on top of a picnic table to get a better line of sight. Putting Harris (sketching in the foreground) in first helped to ground me. Then I put in the trawler, and then all the other masts behind it. Piece o’ cake! (Ha-ha.)

I had 10 minutes to kill before the sketchbook sharing, so I sketched Peggy sketching between her bike and a food truck.


8/17/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Take-sumi and Diamine Grey inks

2 comments:

  1. Love the sketch with all the masts in the background. I see you used my idea of getting up higher for a better view. Did people give you strange looks? I like that your last sketch has a view into the food truck too. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sketches, Tina. I like how you handled all the background boat masts. They always confuse me. Sounds like it got cool in your part of the world, too. I was surprised, though, to see that you've got leaves turning already. We won't see that for a couple months - I hope :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...