Thursday, December 4, 2014

Expressive Models = Expressive Drawings

12/4/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown and Twilight inks, Zig
marker, Canson All-Media paper (20-min. pose)
I finally made it to a short-pose life-drawing session at Gage, which I much prefer to a single long pose. The shorter poses are better training for sketching people in real life, and the variety keeps me from getting bored. Today’s model, Michael, in particular, was excellent at giving us a wide range of expressive poses that I was amazed he was able to hold. When the model is especially expressive, I feel more motivated to make my drawings more expressive, too – to make as much of an effort as the model did in being expressive.

As for media, this morning I was in the mood to try various combinations of dry and wet: colored pencils and ink in a waterbrush. For the last 20-minute pose, I used my trusty Sailor fountain pen and ink in a waterbrush for shading.

Speaking of Gage, this Saturday is the 15th annual Drawing Jam, and I can’t wait! Ive been looking forward to it ever since last years Jam!




12/4/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-jaku ink
(2-min. pose)

12/4/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-jaku ink (2-min. pose)
12/4/14 Caran d'Ache Museum water-soluble colored pencil (1-min. pose)
12/4/14 Koh-I-Noor Tri-Tone pencil, Pilot
Iroshizuku Ku-jaku ink (5-min. pose)

1 comment:

  1. You really did a good job on the short poses! It is more like sketching people in real life minus the clothes. lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...