Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Retail Trees

9/4/15 inks, watercolor, colored pencil
Fall is in the air – the cold morning air heats up by noon but cools off again by early evening – and it’s also in the trees. I’d been noticing hints of red and orange all last month, but when I returned home from San Francisco last week, the trees seemed to have starting turning all at once. At Northgate Mall and my neighborhood Safeway and Metropolitan Market stores, the maples are definitely showing their colors.

Unlike many people who use Labor Day weekend for a last-chance-of-summer getaway, with all the travel I’ve been doing, I was happy to stay at home all weekend. The most ambitious thing I did was to drive out to a retail parking lot each day and sketch trees.

(Technical note: Koh-i-NoorTri-Tone colored pencils sure are fun for giving a little color and texture to trees!)

9/5/15 inks, colored pencils
9/6/15 inks, colored pencils


1 comment:

  1. Nice sketches with the bit of fall colors. You have really been traveling. I can understand that you wanted to stay put over the weekend. We have had temps in the high 80s these last few days...not fall-like at all here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...