Tuesday, March 8, 2016

The Purpose of Hair

3/8/16 ink, S&B Zeta paper
If you’ve ever wondered what the purpose of hair is, it’s to make sketching heads easier. The goateed man in the hoodie had a very interesting and intense face that I enjoyed drawing, but I had a heckuva time getting the shape of his shaved scalp right. I’m used to being able to cover all that up with hair.

I know I’ve mentioned before that people tend to eat and run at the Whole Foods’ café. The ambiance doesn’t really encourage lingering, so the sketching pace is a bit more hectic than at a typical coffee shop. Despite this, I like sketching there because large windows on one side bring in lots of natural light, and depending on which way my victims are facing, I get different challenges.

3/8/16 ink, S&B Zeta paper

3/8/16 ink, S&B Beta paper
3/8/16 ink, S&B Zeta paper

3/8/16 ink, S&B Zeta paper

2 comments:

  1. I agree about the bald heads. I still haven't figured out how to draw an old man with pattern baldness without making him look like Bozo the clown.

    These sketches have a solidity to them that is impressive.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...