Thursday, November 10, 2016

Solace

11/9/16 Luminance colored pencils
I enjoy making small studies of fruits and vegetables with colored pencils because it’s a good way to practice seeing subtle changes in value on a curved surface and conveying them with layered hues. The exercise requires focus and attention, and yet is also relaxing. It’s also one of my favorite ways to spend a rainy day.

Yesterday morning I reached for the Bartlett on the kitchen counter because I wanted something to calm and quiet my mind filled with sadness and uncertainty. I wanted solace.

Technical note: One of my biggest challenges with these still lifes is conveying that subtle reflected light of the white paper that I usually place under the fruit on my black desktop. It’s just as present as the main highlights but much harder to draw.

11/5/16 Pablo colored pencils

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...